So, apart from living in Dublin, I’ve not shared much about myself here, so I thought I’d put up a little post of factoids…
1. I am originally from Dublin, but moved to Donegal for 10 years before moving home in January 2011.
2. I can’t drive. Never learned and have no interest. Odd, I know, because I understand how practical it is and how much independence it gives, but I just cannot summon the will to do it.
3. I visited Paris with my sister and boyfriend last year and it was amazing. I would love to go again.
Quite an Eiffel
4. I have an obsession with beauty blogs, they have me broke! Everytime a new wonder cream comes out I get instant “wants”.
Ireland has a *load* of talented blog writers (not just beauty-related) and I’m happy to be able to call some of them friends (or people I shamelessly stalk on Twitter):
5. My taste in music is wide and varying. My first tape (remember those?) was Tales of Vienna Woods, which I listened to til it wore out. However the first one I bought for myself was Nevermind, by Nirvana.
My current “thing” is Irish music. Lately I’ve really gotten into Lisa Hannigan, but there are so many others too – Ash, The Stunning, Divine Comedy, Mundy… I’ll be adding to my Lunchtime Listening posts soon.
6. Like most people, I adore my family. We’re very close and really “get” each other, which is good as we have a very odd sense of humour that most people find weird. But we crack each other up.
7. I love street art/graffiti. They make up a large portion of the pictures I post here. I love walking around the city looking for new pieces and am always stopping in the middle of the street, going “hang on a sec!!” while I dig out my phone to take a photo!
8. I’m a twitter addict! I have made friends, attended meet-ups, won meals and cinema tickets, found out about all kinds of events and stuff over there. You can find me there at @hazelot, be sure to say Hi!
9. I work full time, but moonlight as a backing singer/percussionist with my boyfriend Barry.Never in a zillion years would I have imagined I’d ever get up on stage and sing in front of strangers, but there you go… To date we’ve made a video of our 1st single, When the Sky Turns Black by the lakes in Blessington, we’ve been on the radio here and in Australia(!) and we’ve played lots of singer/songwriter gigs around Dublin. Oh, we also released our debut EP a couple of months ago, tis on itunes and bandcamp, if you fancy a listen.
10. I’m not sure if this counts as “interesting”, but I love to read. Really love it. Some of my earliest memories are of me sitting up at night when I was supposed to be asleep, reading by the light coming through the bedroom door from the hallway. I’ve just finished reading Gone Girl, which was great til about halfway through, then went to shite.
My favourite books are:
- When the Luvenders Came to Merrick Town, June Considine (technically a kids’ book, but still…)
- All Families Are Psychotic, Douglas Coupland
- The Barrytown Trilogy (The Commitments, The Van and the Snapper), Roddie Doyle
- The Virgin Suicides, Jeffrey Eugenides (it takes me a while to read though, cos I have to take breaks from it, I get so drawn in!)
- A Certain Age, Rebecca Ray
- Trainspotting, Irvine Welsh (like Nirvana’s Nevermind, this book kind of changed me, I can’t explain it, but I feel like I matured and grew up a bit when I read it, like I clicked into what was happening in my generation… or elements of it).
- Girlfriend in a Coma, Douglas Coupland (my boyfriend bought me a copy of this cos he knew I loved it so much and was devo when I lost my 1st copy).
So, there you go, I hope you liked that… Let me know if there any similar posts out there I should read!